Sunday, July 1, 2012

Warpaint: Post "The Fool" 2011



Warpaint, 2010. Photo © Mia Kirby

Once in a while, a new band comes along to disprove the often very correct assumption that everything was better in the past. For me, Warpaint have been one of those bands. Their debut album, "The Fool", was released in late 2010 and completely knocked my socks off. Although dripping with both a pleasant new wave-ish punch (with some UK references being heyday Siouxsie Sioux and the highly underrated Pauline Murray) and a hypnotically lysergic sensibility, the overall sound remains uniquely their own.
I'm not so bold as to say that these four young women from Los Angeles are the future of mind altering rock'n'roll, but if they carry on in the vibrant tradition of "The Fool", they will certainly become key players in the colourful chessboard of contemporary psychedelic music.
Portrayed in the above photograph (courtesy of Mia Kirby – Thanks!) are: Theresa Wayman (guitar, vocals), Emily Kokal (guitar, vocals), Stella Mozgawa (drums, vocals) and Jenny Lee Lindberg (bass, vocals). Jenny was kind enough to answer some of my many questions via e-mail, and for this I'm most grateful.
What have you been up to late 2010/very early 2011?
We have been catching up with our loved ones. We've been away most of the year, on and off, and this was the first "real break" we've had in awhile... Time to play catch up with life's chores as well... And when all that's said and done… Make some tea, and go play music… Write some new material for the future! Woohoo!
How did you all meet, originally?
Emily and I met at a GAP commercial casting! Ha! What a joke… However, we instantly hit it off. We had mutual feelings about not wanting to be where we were, which was in line waiting to be rejected by GAP on a cattle call. 'Twas like love at first sight. We kept in touch. Then later I was introduced by Emily to Theresa. They grew up in Eugene together. They have been besties since they were 11. Oh wow! And about seven years later, after being a band for about five years, we met darling Stella… We opened up for an instrumental improv group that consisted of Stella, Josh, John and Flea (from The Red Hot Chili Peppers)… We all fell in love with her as a drummer that evening. Tossed around with the idea of her joining our band for a year or two, and then got up the guts to finally ask her. It was all fairly simple the way it went down… Simple and easy.
How did you decide on the name?
Emily thought of it one day. Everyone loved it but me… It took about three months or so to convince me. I think I may love it now, more than any of them. Ha! Go figure...
How would you describe your own musical vision? Has it changed from the early days?
To always be true to my mood… They're always changing. So the music will do the same… By remaining true to my mood, I find it rather easy to create sounds of authenticity. Thus making music I love to hear. I think my approach to music has always been the same. As I grow, it too moves forward. It's part of my process. It may even be the core of my evolution.
What did you do for work when starting the band? Did it take a long time before you were able to quit?
I was a bartender, cashier, I worked at a vegetarian restaurant, I worked at a rag house pulling vintage clothing for a clothing company in Australia. I worked at a medicinal marijuana clinic, I did production work. Jeez Louise, I worked everywhere. Anything and everything I could find to get by. Luckily, Los Angeles is overflowing with odd jobs. Nobody here wants a real one.
What do you think is the key to your sound?
Honestly? Our friendship.
What do you think is the key to your success?
Our diligence and patience.
Would you say that your different individual ”creativities” are of the same kind or that they are different and thereby complete/replenish each other? If so, how?
We are all very different, and express ourselves quite differently, however we like to use the same mediums. For instance, we all play music, but my song won't sound anything like Emily's, Theresa's, or Stella's song. Theresa and I like to make clothes, however our styles are vastly different. Catch my drift?
Can you see any dangers with being ”hyped” too quickly? Have you in any way experienced that?
Of course… Nobody wants their music to be spoon fed. It's so much more rewarding when things happen naturally. I don't think we've experienced "hype" on an extreme level. And hopefully it stays that way.
What kind of an audience do you have in LA? Does it feel like home in that sense also – musically?
Most of the audience seems to just be our friends, and/or people we have met through playing so many shows in LA for so many years. We're always super nervous playing home shows. It's good though. Gives us a little kick... Keeps us on our toes.
How do European and American audience reactions differ (if they do)?
At first, we were better received overseas, and now it seems to be evening out. The people you will find at our shows are there because they really enjoy the music. It's a wonderful energy to collaborate with on stage.
Female vs male fans’ reactions: Is there a difference?
Not so much… Generally, people either really like it, or they don't get it at all.
Looking back at ”The Fool” now, what makes you really, really proud about it? And is there something in there that bugs you?
I'm proud that we finished what we started. There were many opportunities to abort mission, and we hung in there. That required an ample amount of patience. And I try not to be disappointed with anything on the record, because we can't change any of it. What's done is done, and we better learn to love what we can't stand, because that's it. For this record at least… It's all part of the process and evolution of Warpaint. We are constantly learning from our mistakes.
What’s the second album going to be like? Have you started working on it?
We have bits. Any chance we get we are writing. It's a mystery as of now, but that's good, because I love surprises.
What’s more pleasurable – working in the studio or playing live? Do you all feel the same way about that?
They're both equally magical but extremely different. I enjoy taking my time, and creating on the spot in the studio. And when we play live, I love the energy exchange with the audience. Both of these experiences are invaluable, and quite an adrenaline rush.
If you ever get into a fight with each other, while on tour for example, how do you (re)solve things and conflicts?
We've gotten extremely well at communicating with one another. The fights aren't very big, and last a short while. We usually start laughing, or crying, within moments… Then it's followed with a dramatically long hug, and about 50 "I'm sorries".
What do you like to do when not working with the band?
Perfect my musicianship. Exercise, catch up with friends and family. Hang with my band. We can't seem to get enough of each other. Watch movies, eat yummy food, and joke around with my boyfriend.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an all girl-combo?
I don't know anything else, so I wouldn't know what to compare it to. I don't really ever think of us as just being an all girl band. I see us as musicians like any other musicians. So I would like to think the advantages and the disadvantages are fairly the same. I'm sure that's not true in its entirety, but I like to think so.
How do you relax while on tour?
I take walks, and try and squeeze in a massage or two. Other than that… Drink lots of water, and sleep as much as possible.
Favourite books, films?
"Henry and June" by Anaïs Nin, the Twilight Saga, Eckhart Tolle, "The Power of Now", and "A New Earth". Films: "Muriel's wedding", and many of Hal Ashby's movies… "Harold and Maude", "Being there".
What kind of film would you like to make the soundtrack for?
A tragic love story, with humorous bits in between. A film pouring with a wide range of emotions. Funny and sad and mad, etc.
Finally, what would you say makes Warpaint unique as a band?
As individuals, we all have a creative vision, and in this band everyone is heard. This isn't the easiest way to do things, that's for sure. However, I think we've got it down to a T thus far. We just wouldn't be our band if we did things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment